Is your toddler fascinated by your gadgets such as your smartphone and camera?
You can make your toddler their very own camera to use for snapping pretend pictures around the house and outside.
This very simple craft is quick and easy to make, plus you probably have everything you need to make it in the house already!
We took inspiration for this craft from some friends over on Instagram.
I thought the final effect was really cool and I knew we had everything we needed to get it done.
When it comes to the camera design on the front you can do it however you like.
We made our camera rectangular and drew on it to make it look like a normal camera.
But you could do a square shape and try to make it look like a polaroid with a slot that you cut out at the front for pictures to pop out of. You could get your toddler to then draw their “photos” and feed them out of the slot in the camera.
All you need to make this simple cardboard camera for your toddler is:
- Toilet roll
- Card (cereal box or other cardboard box work fine)
- String or wool (we used wool as couldn’t find the string!)
You’ll need to do the cutting yourself but your toddler can help with any pretty designs they want to add on the front of their camera.
Once we had made our cameras, our challenged my girls to go outside and take pictures of their favourite parts of the garden.
It kept them busy for a good hour!
- Cereal or cardboard box
- Toilet roll
- String or wool
- Sharp knife
- Marker pen
- Cut out a rectangular or square shape from the box (depending on what size or type of camera you want to make). Our cameras are around 10cmx5cm so a little on the bigger size.
- Using scissors cut a piece of toilet roll for the lens roughly 4cm long. You will need to flatten the toilet roll to do this then pop it back out to its original shape.
- Place the toilet roll where you want your lens to be (slightly off centre is good) and draw a circle around it.
- Using the sharp knife, cut out the circle.
- Use the knife to pierce the camera in two spots at the top where you can thread the string or wool through for your camera strap.
- Draw your camera design. You can copy what I’ve done or use your own camera for inspiration.
- Thread the wool or string through the two small holes and tie knots at the end.
- Insert the toilet roll into the hole you made for the lens.